Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Dean's favourite albums #8 - Nothing But a Dream - Paul Kelly

With a body of work of such high calibre that Paul Kelly has, I really could have virtually clogged up this entire list with Paul Kelly albums, and would not have been unhappy with the final composition of the list. So the choice of this album might seem like a strange one to you all, as its normally albums like “Gossip” or “Comedy” that get mentions on these types of lists. If I wanted to take a different approach, I could have turned to the bluegrass incarnation of “Foggy Highway”. Indeed if I wanted to take a sentimental approach, “Spring and Fall” could have been the choice, because it was released on the day my boys entered this world. But no, I have gone for one of his lesser known albums, 2001’s “Nothing But a Dream”.

 

I remember back to 2001, and the Weekend Australian newspaper did a promotion where you got a free four track sampler ahead of the release of this album. I still have that sampler, and the wonderful thing about it was that it contains some alternate versions of some of the tracks, which are a great listen. I can’t actually remember how I got the album, but I think it was bought for me as a birthday gift (if that is the case, to the person that bought it for me – thank you – (and I am thinking that it might have been from my mate Andy))

 

So why did I choose this album? Well, it is just full of some gems that really show off Kelly’s songwriting abilities. The opening track, “If I could Start Today Again”, a simple song, but wow, what a song, with beautiful lyrics that talk about regrets and wanting to go back and start the day again (see today’s link). “I Wasted Time”, written from the perspective of an old person thinking back at the time they have wasted in their life who now sees “…old friends at funerals now and then, its down to this, it either me or them”. The there is “Somewhere in the City”, a track where Kelly sings deep in thought about what a loved one might be doing, perfectly evoking feelings of  loneliness, jealousy and longing to be with someone.  There is a certain moody, atmospheric sound to a number of the tracks (such as “Midnight Rain”, “Would You Be My Friend”, “Smoke Under the Bridge” ) and then just for some diversity, Kelly throws in the bass laden “Love is the Law” and the frantic “Just  About to Break”. 

 

I know its not as well known as many of Paul’s other albums, but its a great album and very worthy top tenner! (and, like “Suburban Songbook”, it has a great cover as well!)

 


 

Coming up next – its off to the UK, for a more well known classic album (or should I perhaps say that London is calling)?

No comments:

Post a Comment