Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Dean’s Favourite Albums #6- (What’s the Story) Morning Glory – Oasis

1995. Britpop, the wave of British alternative music that Tony Blair decided to ride the coat tails of and get himself into office. The driving forces in Oasis were those Gallagher brothers, whose arrogance and bad behaviour could be quite annoying at times. Despite this, the band has produced some great tracks, and this album is a masterpiece. If I was writing this list a few years ago, this album probably would have been right up in the top two, but I haven’t listened to it much in recent years. I gave it another spin, and wow, it is still a great album.  Highlights abound, with the wonderful “Wonderwall” a piece of class (see link), but there are plenty of other great tracks, the sing-along catchy “Don’t Look Back in Anger”, the driving rock of the opening track “Hello”, the fun “She’s Electric”, and the anthemic “Morning Glory”. “Champagne Supernova” provides a great closer after the journey the band takes us through during the album.

 


 

Next time – the only live album to make it on my top 25 list launches us into the top five. Any guesses as to what it might be? Any predictions for the top five? Leave a post below…

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you find them annoying despite the high ranking... I can forgive it then! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I know,, it doesn't make a lot of sense really..but its about the music not the personalities.

      PS - I have responded to your earlier posts on Living End and You Am I, but stupid me has just realised that I should have hit the reply button so you might not have seen them. I am interested in your thoughts on both of those albums too. From here on in, without giving much away, I don't think there will be any new music discoveries for you, I think you will be familiar with all the remaining albums on the list.

      Delete