Friday, March 21, 2014

Dean's favourite albums #7 - London Calling - The Clash

Ok, so I probably gave it away last time, but number seven on my list is the Clash’s “London Calling” album. This is the sort of album that usually rates highly on best of all time lists, and is often called the greatest punk album of all time. I find that tag strange though, because when I think of punk, I think of the Sex Pistols “God Save the Queen” or the Saints “I’m Stranded”. This album is not like that though, and its more diverse with reggae, ska, jazz, pop and rockabilly all featuring at some point. It’s a long album – was a double album when released, but it doesn’t outstay its welcome at all. My favourite songs – probably  the opening title track, a great rock track (see link),  the sinister sounding “Guns of Brixton”, the rockabilly of “Brand New Cadillac”,and the fun of “Wrong Em Boyo”.  I could keep mentioning songs, but I think you get the idea.

 

 


 

Coming up at number six – its Britpop time, and an album from a band that really annoys me, yet the album is a masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment