Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dean's favourite albums #11 - Crowded House - Crowded House


Being a fan of Crowded House, virtually their entire back catalogue could have made it onto the list, and in particular, their fourth album “Together Alone” was very very close to making the cut. But I decided to head to their debut album, “Crowded House”, which occupies the 11th spot. This is an album full of hits – “Don’t Dream Its Over”, “Mean to Me” (see link), “Now We’re Getting Somewhere”, “World Where You Live” and  “Something So Strong”, but also contains some great other moments like “Love You Til the Day I Die” and “Tombstone”.

 

Strangely enough, it took the band breaking up for me to take notice of them. I still remember watching their “Farewell to the World” concert on TV, and thinking, “I know this song, this is a good song”, over and over again, and that led me to purchasing their best of album. My first venture into a Crowded House album though, was made in Hobart of all places in 1999. Its funny the things you remember – I still have strong memories of  purchasing a three pack containing “Crowded House”, “Temple of Low Men” and “Woodface” from the Sanity music store in the Hobart’s Elizabeth Street Mall. Those albums have been listened to a lot over the years since, and they all hold up as great albums.

 

 

Coming up – we enter the serious end of the countdown and at number ten its time to face fact with an American folk singer of Mexican heritage.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment