Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dean’s favourite albums #19 – Sheryl Crow – Sheryl Crow



I am a Sheryl Crow fan. Her first four albums (“Tuesday Night Music Club”, “Sheryl Crow”, “The Globe Sessions” and “C’mon C’mon”) are all brilliant, then came “Wildflower” which was OK, “Detours” which was good, “100 Miles from Memphis” which was disappointing, and then last year her first venture into country music with “Feels Like Home” which is good.  “Tuesday Night Music Club” is the critically acclaimed and Grammy award winning album that you are meant to like, but for me, it has always been a toss up between “Sheryl Crow” and “The Globe Sessions” for my favourite one. I was pretty certain that “The Globe Sessions” would make this list, but  at the last moment, I have switched, and decided to go with her second album, the self titled one.

 

This one contains radio friendly tracks like “If It Makes You Happy” (see link), a  great rock song, and “Every Day is a  Winding Road”, an enjoyable pop/rock track, but then its got a number of great ballads like “Home”, and “Sad Sad World”, one of my favourite Sheryl Crow tracks. Sheryl even moves into a bit of funk, on “Love is a Good Thing”. “Redemption Day”, a stunning piece of songwriting, would go on to be covered by Johnny Cash.  I think its always a mark of a good album when each time you listen to it, a different track jumps out at you and impresses, and that is exactly what happens every time I listen to this album.

 


 

coming up at #18 – another self titled album, this time from 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment