Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dean's favourite albums #15 - One Nil - Neil Finn


“One Nil” is the second solo album by Crowded House frontman Neil Finn.  The review of this album on Allmusic.com describes it as a straightforward album where“the songs are gently insinuating, slowly working their way into the subconscious.” I can certainly understand where this review is coming from, although it didn’t take me long to get into it, I was hooked right from the first listen, with the rockier track “Hole in the Ice”, the catchy “Don’t Ask Why”, and  first single “Rest of the Day Off” . But the more you listen, the more some of the other tracks to reveal themselves – the lovely “Last to Know”, the experimental “Elastic Heart”, and the acoustic opener, “The Climber”, for example. The highlight of the album though in my opinion is the stunning track “Turn and Run”, have a listen via the link.

 

This album was released in 2001, and interestingly enough, Neil has only just released his next solo album, “Dizzy Heights”, this month (not that he has been quiet, with Crowded House albums, Finn Brothers albums, Pajama Club album, Seven Worlds Collide albums etc made in that time). Its still early days with that one, it hasn’t quite grabbed me yet, although it has enough there to make we want to keep persisting.

 


 

Next time on Dean’s favourite albums countdown - #14 – an unheralded classic, low budget album with just a tinge of country

2 comments:

  1. Do stick with Dizzy Heights, it really is an amazing album with lots of magic to uncover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tabatha, thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you enjoy it. I will be sticking with Dizzy Heights, and I like it more and more after each listen. It is certainly a grower!

    ReplyDelete