Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dean’s favourite albums #14 – What Rhymes with Cars and Girls – Tim Rogers


With a gap between You Am I recordings, frontman Tim Rogers decided he wanted to make a solo record. At the same time he was going through a breakup, and was able to draw on some of these emotions in the songwriting for this album. A low budget, simple album, Rogers moved away from the energetic rock and roll of You Am I, and created an album that leans more towards country sounds (although I have read reviews where Rogers states that it is not a country album).

 

I just find this album so accessible, and such an enjoyable listen, with highlights all through it, such as the catchy tracks “You’ve Been So Good to Me So Far” (see link), “You Just Don’t Do it For me Friend”, and “Arse Kicking Lady from the North West”. Then when you think it is just that sort of album, Tim throws in some wonderful ballads like “The Songs they Played as I Drove Away”, and a tale of relationship troubles in “Twenty Eight”.

 


 

Coming up next time - #13, we are off to fight the fascists with folk music!

No comments:

Post a Comment