Saturday, September 7, 2013

top ten "magic" songs


This week’s music theme is “magic”, and this time around I have gone for a rule that the magic must be mentioned in the song title – so songs like Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band don’t qualify. So let’s see if I can cast a spell on you with this listing…

 

10 - Magic Woman Touch – The Hollies
We begin this week’s magical journey in the early 70’s, with the Hollies.


 

9 - Magic – Dragon
Off to the 80’s now for one of those songs where the quality of the chorus far exceeds the quality of the verses!

 

8 - Black Magic Woman – Santana
I was going to be a music snob and put Fleetwood Mac down, as they first recorded this (and I have their version in my music collection, but don’t actually own any Santana), but the reality is Santana’s version is superior. Indeed, there would be some people that would rate this song a lot higher than I do.


 

7 - Don’t You Know Its Magic – John Farnham

A Brian Cadd penned track, this is a solid track without being a masterpiece.


 

6 - Do You Believe in Magic – Lovin’ Spoonful
Go on, you know you want to rock your head from side to side and tap your toes for this one!


 

5 - Magic Bus – The Who
Ah, the song the Homer requested the Who to perform when they appeared on the Simpsons. And for good reason, it’s an enjoyable listen, making use of the Bo Diddley beat.

 

4 - Magic Carpet Ride – Steppenwolf
I would rate this song higher, as it’s a great one, but the overly long instrumental bit gets on my nerves.


 

3 - Every Little Thing She Does is Magic – The Police
I still don’t own any Police albums, another fact that I should do something about at some stage – but these are the sorts of song get heaps of play on the radio, and this is a particularly memorable track.

 

2 - This Magic Moment – Jay and the Americans
This track is getting a bit more prominence at the moment as it is being featured on a commercial on Australian TV. It is a stunning track

 

1 - Magical Mystery Tour – The Beatles
Crap movie, but great song, which is why I have put it at number one. There is a lot to love about this track – the fanfare at the start, which then leads into the “roll up, roll up” fairground style call before it jumps into the catchiness of the song proper.


So there you have it, my magic list - share some of your magic and make some comments below.... 

2 comments:

  1. Another one I've considered compiling a few times. Not near my music collection at the moment so I can't check what else I'd include, but Queen - It's A Kind of Magic would be near the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good suggestion, probably should have magically made room for that one too!

    ReplyDelete