Saturday, September 14, 2013

top ten "ain't" songs


This week’s theme is “ain’t” songs – and we are going to move between a range of genres and eras, so sit back and enjoy!

10 - Ain’t that a Shame  - Fats Domino
We start with a rock and roll classic, often covered. I have chosen the Fats Domino version, but you could have had Pat Boone, John Lennon or a host of others…

 

9 - Ain’t Gonna Get – Baby Animals
From early rock and roll, to early 90’s rock that is just a tad harder, it’s the Aussie band Baby Animals. Always liked this track, one of the harder ones on their debut album, it didn’t get the success of some of the more radio friendly hits, but it’s a great track nonetheless. And if you are a fan of early 90’s Aussie rock, keep reading, there is more for you later on in the list.

 

8 - You Ain’t Going Nowhere – The Byrds
From rock, to a more country twang, this is from the Byrds “Sweetheart of the Rodeo” album -  a pioneer of the country rock genre. This is actually a cover, and like “Ain’t that a Shame”, I could have chosen the Bob Dylan and the band version, or the Bob Dylan version, all great, but I think I slightly prefer this one.

 

7 - Ain’t no mountain high enough – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrel
Continuing our jump around the genres, we now move to some Motown soul for “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”. Another often covered version, probably most famously in Australia by Jimmy Barnes for his Soul Deep album.

 

6 - It Ain’t Me Babe – Johnny Cash & June Carter
The Bob Dylan influence is back again – this one was written by Dylan and originally recorded by him. He sometimes dueted this track with Joan Baez, but I have gone with the Cash’s duet instead, a lovely piece of country music.




5 - Ain’t Got No Money – Bob Seeger
Back to rock, and this album track from Seeger’s “Stranger in Town” album is a really great piece of 70’s rock. Pity about the album cover though – not sure how a simple head shot of Seeger could have dated so badly!

 

4 - Two out of Three Ain’t Bad – Meatloaf
Forget about Meatloaf’s embarrassing recent live performances (cough..AFL grand final), he was actually a rare talent at his prime.  Another one from his big “Bat out of Hell” album, it’s a bit of a sarcastic look at a relationship breakup, delivered in Meat’s dramatic singing style.


 

3 - That Ain’t Bad – Ratcat
Well, I did promise more early nineties Aussie rock, and here it is, in the form of Indie band Ratcat. I found this album very cheap in a second hand shop earlier this year, its been good rediscovering the hits like this, and hearing some of the album tracks for the first time.

 

2 - It Ain’t Over til its over – Lenny Kravitz
If I had to describe this song in a word, the word would be catchy.  Released in 1991, it has a retro almost Motwon type feel to it, and is a great track to listen to.


 
1- He Ain’t Heavy, He’s my Brother – The Hollies
My number one this week goes to the Hollies for this great sentimental ballad. I know I keep harping on about my twin boys, but I think following their arrival, the song has taken on an even more special meaning to me. And for a useless piece of trivia for you, Elton John plays piano on the Hollies recording.


 

So there you have it, that is my top ten “ain’t” songs. Tell me what you like…I ain’t going to be offended if its not on my list.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I ain't had time to comment till now... here's a few of my favourites that would have been fighting for a place:

    Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
    Ain't That Enough - Teenage Fanclub
    Rock 'n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - ACDC
    Bitches Ain't Shit - Ben Folds (hilarious Ice T cover)
    It Ain't Me - Dylan
    Ain't Got You - Springsteen
    The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore - The Walker Brothers
    This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us - Sparks
    etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Rol, anyone would think you have just become a dad for something :)

    Bill Withers was a bad omission, I should have had that one.

    ReplyDelete