Friday, September 27, 2013

top ten "kick/kicking" songs


Its AFL grand final weekend, and of course one of the key skills of Australian Rules football is kicking the ball – indeed kicking goals is the aim of the game. So in honour of this, my theme this week is kick/kicking songs.

Enjoy the list!

 

10 – Dropkick me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life – Bobby Bare
Ok, I know, its actually a pretty lame song, but you have to give points for the title alone, and I will be honest with you, I only had nine songs for the list and needed an extra one.


 

9 – Kick out the Jams – Presidents of the USA
Based on the MC5 track, this I think was the only cover version on the Presidents debut album.


 

8 – Kicking Stones – Tim Rogers
Tim features fairly prominently in this list, so apologies in advance for those that are not fans of his work. This is a real bluesy number from his Dirty Ron album.


 

7– Ain’t that a Kick in the Head – Dean Martin
From blues to swing now – I couldn’t quite find room for this in my top ain’t songs, but it has been able to make this list.

 

6- Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People
A more recent track now, for a while it felt like this song was everywhere – on the radio, on TV commercials, being played in stores etc. It has a pretty catchy chorus though. I haven’t taken the time to study the lyrics in detail, but I think they are actually quite dark – its about the homicidal thoughts of a troubled youth. Makes you think about that catchy jingle a bit differently now doesn’t it?

 

5 – Kick a Hole in the Sky – You Am I
Tim is back, this time with his band You Am I. I think I may have written before that I will always have a soft spot for their “Dress Me Slowly” album. It may not be their best, but it’s the album I turn to when I am down and need a bit of a pick up. The songs are great, and I associate it with good times with my friends.

 

4- I Get a Kick Out of You – Frank Sinatra
Back to swing now, from that other great exponent of the genre, Ol’ Blue Eyes himself. This has been covered by many artists over the years (in fact, Sinatra’s version is a cover too)


 

3- (Get Your Kicks On) Route 66 – Nat King Cole
Perhaps I am being a bit cheeky including his, as the song is often listed without the parenthesis, but it is often listed with them, so I think I can get away with it. Nat King Cole had the original version, but as with some of the other songs on this list, this is an often covered classic.

 

If you don’t like Nat’s version, perhaps you would prefer Chuck Berry’s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2EbJy-9dc

The Rolling Stones version is also excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhkBg8wOBo

 

2- Kick – INXS
So I had a bit of difficulty in working out the order of the top two, and I very nearly gave this one the top spot (it probably also should get points for being off an album of the same name). There is something simplistically brilliant about the chorus – “sometimes you kick, sometimes you get kicked.” Many would have been able sum up life as well as that line does.


 

1- Arse Kickin Lady from the Northwest – Tim Rogers
I gave the top spot to Tim Rogers, with this brilliant track from his debut solo album. Not really much to say about this song, its great. Love the banjo work on it too!


 

So there is my list. Did I kick a goal with this one, or should some of my selections be kicked out?

1 comment:

  1. Great to see Frank, Dean and Nat all in one Top Ten... and INXS too!

    I'd add...

    The Avett Brothers - Kick Drum Heart
    Eels - I've Been Kicked Around
    Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
    Okkervil River - Unless It Kicks
    The Sundays - I Kicked A Boy
    A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?

    But the most glaring omission - and my Number One - would be Teenage Kicks by The Undertones. One of the greatest pop songs ever recorded.

    ReplyDelete