Monday, July 7, 2014

top ten "band" songs


Where does all the time go? Finding it hard to get the lists written up at the moment, but given I had some requests for a new list here is one. This week we look at top ten “band” songs. By band I don’t mean songs that were recorded by a band, nor do I mean the best songs by Robbie Robertson’s ensemble. No, I am copping out again and doing a list that is ipod searchable – the song just has to have the word band in the title. It’s an enjoyable list to listen this week, full of some toe tappers, some faux country/folk, some good old fashioned rock n roll and some seriously poignant lyrics at some points as well.

Enjoy the list and as always, please feel free to make some comments about your thoughts on the list, suggestions of your own (I am more inclined to keep making lists if I know people enjoy reading them)

 

10 - If Yr Famous and You Know it Sack Your Band – Custard
Custard were one of those bands from the 90’s that didn’t take themselves too seriously. Last year in one of my op-shop trips I came across their best of, and just had to give it a go. It has some good moments on it, but from my perspective can only be consumed in small doses. This is a great track, although it is probably fair to say that the title promises more than the actual track delivers. Not to worry though….the link shows lead singer Dave McCormack playing it.


9 - One Man Band – Leo Sayer
Yep, we all have our guilty pleasures, I don’t own this but pretty sure my Mum has a Leo Sayer album with this on, which is why its stuck in my head!


8 - Band on Every Corner – The Whitlams
The Whitlams sound must un-Whitlam like in this one, channelling country and celtic folk influences. A lot of fun, and one of the better non best of tracks from Eternal Nightcap. Grab your pint class, sway from side to side and sing a long…go on, you know you want to.


7 - Hi, We’re the Support Band – Tim Rogers
Rogers tackles the the subject of the support band (“we ain’t the ones you know”) in this fine effort from his excellent “What Rhymes with Cars and Girls”.


6 - I Made the Prison Band – Merle Haggard
In this upbeat, toe-tapping song from his 1967 album “Branded Man”, Haggard sings about a prisoner being stuck inside a lonely prison where “the walls are strong and the days are long”. The prisoner learns to play guitar and then successfully makes it into the prison band, which results in a complete change of the prisoner’s plans: “I'd been plannin' a break since Christmas. I had the details all worked out. But now I know that I ain't gonna go and there ain't no doubt … I gotta rehearse for the Friday night show 'cause I made the prison band.” The rehabilitative power of music perhaps?


5 - Listen to the Band – Monkees
Catchy, catchy track from the Monkees.


4 - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band – The Beatles
I think my love of the Beatles is well established by now, but I have to say this wouldn’t be one of my top Beatles songs. Nevertheless its an enjoyable listen worthy of this list.


3 - Travelin’ Band – Creedence Clearwater Revival
Off to CCR next for some great rock and roll. I love how this song seems to arrive in a hurry and then not outstay its welcome. Enjoyable listen.


2 - And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda – The Pogues
Written by singer/songwriter Eric Bogle, this is an amazing piece of songwriting. Essentially an anti-war song, it describes the struggles of a WWI veteran and the bad memories that war has. I could pull out verses and quote them, but if you are not familiar with the track you would be better off just listening yourself. Many have covered it over the years, but I think the Pogues version probably takes the cake. Enjoy.


1- Band on the Run – Wings
It takes a pretty good song to top the number two track mentioned above, and “Band on the Run” is a pretty good song.

The track tells the story of a band being confined to prison and then escaping and going on the run. Written by McCartney, the song consists of a three part structure, revolving around the themes of escape and liberation. It is said that McCartney was inspired to write the song by a comment from fellow Beatle George Harrison, who once quipped at a business meeting “..if we ever get out of here”. The first part of the song is soft and melodic, as the central character complains about prison life: “Stuck inside these four walls, sent inside forever, Never seeing no one nice again like you, mama” Harrison’s unwitting contribution, “if we ever get out of here” heralds the start of the second part of the song, as the singer thinks about giving everything away if he was able to escape. Guitar, drum and bass starts to become more prominent. The third, and main part of the song bursts into life as the full sounds of an orchestra emerge. McCartney is said to have likened this to “a hole being blasted in the wall”, as the inmates escape and go on the run. The lyrics describe the search party looking for the prisoners: “ ..the Jailer Man and Sailor Sam, were searching every one, for the band on the run”, but “…In the town they’re searching for us every where, but we never w ill be found..”



That's another band of songs down for another week - tell me which "band" is your favourite?

See ya next time!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, Wing - "the band The Beatles could have been!" Undeniably one of Macca's finest moments, Band On The Run. Good to see Leo Sayer too!

    My first thought was Formed A Band by Art Brut, which is worth a listen for amusement value even if you don't fall in love with them like I did.

    Then Drunk In A Band by Del Amitri - a pretty hilarious confessional from Justin Currie.

    Beyond that...

    Bruce Springsteen - Where The Bands Are
    Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band
    Albert Hammond - Free Electric Band
    Warren Zevon - Johnny Strikes Up The Band
    Steely Dan - Parker's Band
    Boston - Rock & Roll Band
    Dan Fogelberg - Leader of the Band... eek, help, I'm trapped in America in the 70s!

    The Libertines - Boys In The Band, proving my record collection doesn't end in 1979!

    ReplyDelete