Friday, June 6, 2014

Top Ten "Sunday" songs


Last time I gave you my top Saturday night songs. What comes after Saturday night? Sunday, of course, so the logical next list is my top “Sunday” songs. Enjoy the list.

 

10 - Never on Sunday – Connie Francis

We begin this week’s list with a greek song, that many of the typical songbirds got a hold of and re-recorded in English – eg. Connie Francis, Doris Day, Petula Clark. A nice way to kick us off. Just don’t go kissing Connie on Sunday, that’s her day of rest.


 
9 - Sunday Morning – No Doubt

Before she was a Hollaback Girl, Gwen Stefani was in a rock band, and from memory “Tragic Kingdom” wasn’t too bad an album either. “Sunday Morning” came from it.


 
8 - Sunday Papers – Joe Jackson

Leaving 90’s rock to head to the late seventies new wave pop of Joe Jackson and “Sunday Papers”. Its about someone who stays and home and lives life through the Sunday paper.


 
7 - Pleasant Valley Sunday – Monkees

It might be a pleasant valley, but this is pleasant pop, exactly what one would expect from the Monkees.


 
6 - Sunday Girl – Blondie

Blondie don’t seem to get much a run on my blog for some reason, which is a shame because I quite like thme – I think the topics I have picked just haven’t been suitable. They have better tracks than this one, but its their Sunday contribution.


 
5 - Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon – Queen

I think I was banging on about this track when I listed “A Night at the Opera” as my second favourite album. It’s a great track, totally over the top, a little bit camp, but very very enjoyable


 
4- Sunday, Bloody Sunday – U2

Being someone that does look up music on the internet,I have observed that U2 seem to really divide people – those that don’t like them really don’t like them. I am far more neutral, I like some of their stuff, but wouldn’t consider myself a huge fan. “Sunday, Bloody Sunday” is textbook U2, anthemic stadium rock!


 
3- Lazy Sunday – Small Faces
From the anthemic rock of U2, to the cockney music halls of East London with this pearler of a track by the Small Faces.


2- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning – Paul Kelly

Its back – straddling the Saturday night and the Sunday lists, but too good to leave off!



1- Sunday Morning Coming Down – Jerry Lee Lewis

So, we have reached the top spot, and the choice of track was clear to me, the difficulty though was choosing which version to go for. Kris Kristofferson wrote and recorded this amazing track, Johnny Cash did a great version, but the one that has really worked for me is Jerry Lee Lewis’s rendition on his “Mean Old Man” album.

 

Kristofferson’s lyrics are truly amazing as he tells the tale of a desperate man. The opening lyrics really sum it up –

 

Well I woke up Sunday morning

 With no way to hold my head, that didn't hurt

 And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,

 So I had one more for dessert.”

 

As the man wonders the town aimlessly, we realise how desperate he is:

“Then I walked across the street

 And caught the Sunday smell of someone's fryin' chicken

 And it took me back to somethin'

 That I'd lost somewhere, somehow along the way.

 

 On a Sunday morning sidewalk

 I'm wishing Lord that I was stoned

 'Cause there's something in a Sunday

 That makes a body feel alone.”

 

There are good lyrics, and then there are truly great lyrics.

 

Johnny Cash version


 

Jerry Lee Lewis version


 

Kris Kristofferson version


 

So there it is, my top Sunday songs.  What are your favourites? Feel free to post a comment below

2 comments:

  1. While I can't fault your Number 1 (The Handsome Family did a cool version too)... it wouldn't have been mine.

    I'm resisting the urge to shout - VERY LOUDY - "WHAT - NO MORRISSEY?" Every Day Is Like Sunday... every day is silent and grey...

    Beyond that, I was pleased with most of your other choices... although I'd also struggle to find room for...

    Nick Drake - Sunday
    The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning
    Elvis Costello - Gloomy Sunday
    Gil Scott Heron - Hello Sunday, Hello Road
    Harry Chapin - Sunday Morning Sunshine
    Aimee Mann - High On Sunday 51
    Tom Petty - Blue Sunday

    And, of course, The Commodores - Easy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rol, thanks for posting with some good thoughts there. There is no Morrissey because I am uneducated in this area. My Morrissey knowledge only stretches as far as the Smiths Queen is Dead album.

      and in regards to the Commodores, I decided to limit to only songs with Sunday in the list, otherwise it would have been a certain starter and quite high up too

      Delete