Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Top Ten Milk Songs


Hi All. Since I was posting a bit more often on this site, many things have changed in my life, but the biggest change that happened was that I am now the proud father of two twin boys.

Having two little babies in the house leads to lots of changes, and I have become very used to feeding them bottles of milk,.

So my first list post fatherhood is all about milk….here are my top ten milk songs. As always, feedback and suggestions are most welcome. 

Just a note before we begin, this list is unlikely to bring all the boys to the yard! Feel free to voice your concerns about this in the comments, but I am declaring it a Kelis free zone right now.

 

10 - Milk and Toast and Honey – Roxette

I will be honest, I only had nine songs and did a google search which revealed this one. But its an Ok song, and at least I actually know who Roxette are, it’s not completely random.

 

9 - Milkcow Blues Boogie – Elvis Presley

This Sun recordings era Elvis, raw and talented, but no real inkling of how big he would become.  I am sure it is a cover (I know I should do my research but I am time poor these days so forgive me)

 

8 - Malted Milk – Eric Clapton

A nice little guitar ditty from the Unplugged album.

 

7 - Milk Cow Blues – The Kinks

From the Kink Kontroversy, this is actually a reworked version of the Elvis song mentioned above (which is a reworked version of an older song too). But the Kinks turned it into an abrasive rock track. Its not normally my approach to include the same song on a list twice, but I am letting it through because Elvis chose to retitle his version.

 

6 - Milk – Garbage

I wouldn’t say I am a huge Garbage fan, but I think respect is the word. There is something about their sound, uniquely them.

 

5 - Ernie The Fastest Milkman in the West – Benny Hill

I do love a good novelty song, and this certainly is a good novelty song about a milkman that gets up to some extra-curricular activities. If you are not familiar with the song, think about Benny Hill’s style of humour and you can probably figure out what they would be.

 

4 - Milk and Alcohol – Dr Feelgood

Well you have to make the crying stop somehow don’t you? (that was a joke – no need to get the authorities onto me)

A great rock song, with almost like a military beat going on in the background.

 

3- No Milk Today – Herman’s Hermits

There are very few bands that have had track after track that can bring a smile everytime you listen. Into Something Good, Mrs Brown You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter, There’s a Kind of Hush, the list goes it. It just proves that music doesn’t have to be complicated to be enjoyable.

 

2- Under the Milky Way – The Church.

Am I cheating by using this song on the list? Probably, but its such a brilliant song. Atmospheric, moody, its hard not to describe this one as a masterpiece.  And how good is the lyric “I wish I knew what you were looking for, I might have known what you would find”.

 

1-      Mr Milk – You Am I

My top song goes to You Am I’s catchy tune from their Hourly, Daily album. Is it a rock song, or is it a pop song? Well its kind of both really. A gem of a song.

4 comments:

  1. Well, we shared five of the same songs (albeit one a different version). It's a few years since I did mine though so other alternatives might feature were I to redo it now...


    http://rolhirst.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/top-ten-milk-songs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rufus Wainwright - Cigarettes and chocolate milk
    Great, catchy song which is unlike most of his other stuff I have heard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5CLmflrwIA

    Massive Attack - Black milk
    From their excellent Mezzanine album, this is great trip-hop from Bristol's finest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li-adM-qOwI

    Kings of Leon - Milk
    This is from their 2nd album "Aha shake heartbreak", one of their early songs before they went for a much more commercial sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH9-9IC7qyY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Offspring: (drink your milk) Keep 'Em Separated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milk S.O.D.
    Milk it Nirvana
    Milky cereal LL Cool J

    ReplyDelete