Monday, July 8, 2013

The top five "god" songs


Hey everyone

I know, I kept you all hanging for so long, but life kinda got in the way. So here we are, back with the top five God songs. Hope you have enjoyed the list so far.
 
I am going to try and get back to posting on here a bit more often, but will just see how it goes. Finding time can be hard...

5 – There Goes God – Crowded House

I am a big Crowded House fan, and yet another appearance of a song with a connection to Neil Finn. This one is a nice track off the Woodface album, where god walks by wearing “sexy pants” and having a “sausage dog”.

4- God’s Little Bird – Vika and Linda

The Bull sisters have tremendously powerful voices and this song showcases their voices very well. A great toe-tapper of a song!

3 – God’s Gift to Women – Kate Miller-Heidke

Kate is a very hard artist to describe – classically trained, but sings quirky pop, a bit like a Kate Bush or Tori Amos, but then again, not really like them at all.  I do love the lyric from this song – “if your god’s gift to women, then god got it wrong”!!

2 – Thank God for the Pusherman – James Reyne

A bit of a different song for Reyne, a little bit heavier than he normally does. This comes from the “Speedboats for Breakfast” album.

1 – God Only Knows – Beach Boys

There was really no doubt as to what the top song would be. Possibly one of the most perfect pop songs, right from that introduction, to the beautiful lyrics, to the beautiful vocal performance. A wonderful track.

 

So there it is, my top “god” songs…what do people think? What have I left out?

5 comments:

  1. God - that's a tough one. Though I suspect my Number One would be the same as yours. Can't imagine a better song existing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip - thanks for stopping by my site. I am not overly familiar with XTC, although I do love "Senses Working Overtime". I will have to investigate further. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Rol - thanks for stopping by and for the link on your site, I think you have generated a lot more traffic here, so I will have to try and pump the lists out more often...You are right though, God Only Knows is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Lennon - God
    How did you forget this one? You have heard it, haven't you? It's brilliant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jknynk5vny8

    Elvis Costello - God's comic
    A quirky catchy number from his first WB album "Spike" - one of my favourite EC songs (give this one a listen).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7dzTCvLfN0

    Dandy Warhols - Godless
    Opening number from their "Thirteen tales from urban bohemia" album. Nice song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1UuIjWEl0

    Died Pretty - Godbless
    From their "Doughboy hollow" album - epic Aussie rock.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdwNr96BdPM

    Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Godhopping
    Terrible band name, catchy song. Much too close to XTC for comfort though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klzQKWKGgs8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeremy, would you believe that I literally just bought Plastic Ono Band today, and God is not on the best of that I have, so I am not familiar with it. Will let you know what I think.

    That Costello song sounds awfully familiar, I wonder if you have played it for me before. Its a good one.

    I will listen to some of your other suggestions too...

    ReplyDelete