Saturday, January 1, 2011

Top 15 "Year" songs

Hi All

With a new year now upon us, this week’s musical list theme is years. We know that Bryan Adams sung about the Summer of 69, Prince about 1999, the Smashing Pumpkins about 1979, the Whitlams about 1995 and Queen about ’39, but rather than focusing on specific years, I thought I would focus on songs with “year” or “years” in the title.

Its only a top 15 this week, and I will do the whole lot in one post so as to not clog up everyone’s facebook feeds. I hope you enjoy!

As always, comments, criticisms and topic suggestions are most welcome.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

15 – 99 Years – Vika and Linda.
A Paul Kelly penned track, performed by the Bull sisters. Seems like a pretty good combination to me, and a solid song to start the list with.

14 – Years May Come, Years May Go – Herman’s Hermits
I picked up a cheap best of from Herman’s Hermits several months ago, primarily for the songs “I’m into Something Good” and “No Milk Today”, great little pop songs from the sixties. I was surprised to discover some other gems on the best of, like this song. On the surface, it’s a simple song with pretty lyrics, but I got to say, when you dig a bit below the surface, the lyrics get you thinking.

13 – Anthem for the Year 2000 – Silverchair
From jingly sixties pop to some hard rock, the 13th position is taken by Silverchair’s hard rock. I like some of Silverchair’s stuff, but I have never really got into them in a big way, and certainly don’t rave over their music like some music critics. It’s a good track though. At the start I said I wasn’t including songs that mention specific years, but this one slips through the eligibility criteria because it contains the word “year” in the title.

12 – Golden Years – David Bowie
A good Bowie song, that almost has a bit of a funk/soul feel to it.

11 – Still Crazy After All these Years – Paul Simon
A sweet little song from Paul Simon.

10 – One More Year – Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson.
From their excellent collaboration album “Rattlin Bones”, this is a quiet slow tune. There are better on the album, but nonetheless, a solid track.

9 – Forgotten Years – Midnight Oil.
Some Aussie rock from our country’s cabinet minister. I like Midnight Oil, but wouldn’t consider myself a huge fan, its almost like there songs have been around, on the radio or whatever, but I have never taken the next step and got into them in a huge way.

8 – A Couple More Years – Jerry Lee Lewis (with Willie Nelson)
A few years ago I picked up a killer album (pardon the pun) where Jerry Lee Lewis, who I am guessing is probably in his seventies now, duets with a whole lot of musicians – John Fogerty, Ringo Starr, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, etc. However, Jerry Lee shines through, dominating on the duets, in this very good album. From this album is a reflective song, A Couple More Years. Great stuff.

7 – Living Years – Mike and the Mechanics
Some might call this song daggy, but it is quite poignant I think. I remember it being a huge hit in the late eighties, the sort of song that was appealing to the chart followers as well as the blue rinse set. No doubt it probably gets played on golden oldies radio stations today.

6 – 50 Years – Uncanny X Men
If you thought Mike and the Mechanics was a bit daggy, then you will probably think the same about this sentimental track from this Aussie rock group. If you don’t know the song, here is a sample of the lyrics:
“Its nearly time we were leaving, well have one more for the road/It don’t mean nothing, it don’t mean nothing/So we gather around the table, raise our champagne in the air/It dont mean nothing, it don’t mean nothing/Cause we’ve got this night together well have here now forever/Don’t tell me now you can write me a letter, where will we be in Fifty years”. Its corny, but its great corny!!

5 – It Was a Very Good Year – Frank Sinatra
It would be wrong to leave the Chairman of the Board off the list, although I must say, this is not one of my favourite Sinatra tracks. I think I like the ones that swing a bit more. But it’s a nice song, and will always be memorable to me for the Simpsons parody, where Homer sings about drinking a very good beer!

4 – Good Year for the Roses – Elvis Costello
When I think of Elvis Costello, I normally associate him with the catchy pop of songs like Oliver’s Army or Whats So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding. I don’t normally think of ballads, which is strange, because he has some amazing slow songs, like Indoor Fireworks, and this one, Good Year for the Roses.

3 – Another Year Gone – Bob Evans
I think I downloaded this track from I-tunes, as a B-side, because I can’t remember which of Bob’s albums it is from, but it’s a lovely little song.

2 – Young Years – Dragon
A pop rock anthem, it’s catchy and a most enjoyable listen.

1 – New Years Day – U2
From one anthem to another, the number one spot given the time of year it is, must go to U2’s New Years Day. It’s a great song, featuring Clayton’s bassline, and Edge’s keyboard playing. I love the intro to this song, the keys, and then the scream from Bono. Its just great. According to the trusted source that is Wikipedia, the song’s lyrics started as love song from Bono to his wife, but somehow ended up being about the Polish solidarity movement.

So there you have it, my top “years” songs. Hope you enjoyed.

Happy New Year to all.

2 comments:

  1. Some great choices there - you can't really fault your #1 choice. And you do know that "Good year for the roses" isn't an Elvis original don't you? It was from "Almost blue", his country covers album.

    Will need to think of some choice year songs, but one that springs to mind is "Years go by" by Split Enz. A choice cut!

    And Dragon appear to be making the cut quite a few times on these lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years Go By just missed out...it would have been next on the list.

    And I didn't know that Good Year for the Roses was a cover...you learn something every day!

    Not sure when Dragon will next make an appearance though. I have a few topics in mind, and I don't think they will fit into them...but you never know, you just never know.

    ReplyDelete