Saturday, January 1, 2011

Musical list - Top Twenty "bird songs" - PART TWO

Hope you enjoyed part one of the bird list…now here are some seriously top birds…

10 - Birds and Ships – Billy Bragg and Wilco
– from the brilliant album Mermaid Avenue, whereby Billy Bragg and Wilco took unfinished lyrics from the folk singer Woody Guthrie, and put them to music. In this track, Natalie Merchant guest vocals, providing a beautiful ballad. Lovely stuff.

9 - When Doves Cry – Prince.
Some 80’s pop is very daggy, but I don’t think you could apply that term to this song, which is possibly Prince’s signature tune, and discusses some relationship difficulties.

8 - Bird in a Basement – Paul Dempsey.
Dempsey’s 2009 solo album “Everything is True” is well worth a listen. Although his voice is gravelly, he still manages to sound soulful and sometime melancholic. “Bird in a Basement” is one of the best tracks on the album.

7- Bird on a Wire – Jimmy Barnes and Troy Cassar-Daly.
Written by Leonard Cohen, this song has almost become a country standard. I also have a Johnny Cash version of it in my collection, but I actually really like the duet between Jimmy Barnes and Australian country singer Troy Casser-Daly, for Barnes’ duet album “Double Happiness”, which is a mixture of some really great songs, and some that don't do a lot for me. Jimmy’s rough vocals, beside Troy’s sweet vocals make it a real joy to listen to. Perhaps embarrassingly, I have to admit I have not heard the original Cohen version. I think I need to get me some Cohen in my collection!!

6 - Rockin Robin – Michael Jackson.
I am not a huge Michael Jackson fan, but I am usually in awe whenever I see footage of a young Michael, a child, belting out these amazing tracks with his amazing voice. Although it was a cover, I think Michael really made this song his own, and the simple lyrics probably suit the innocent vocal style that he had at the time. And it’s a very catchy track too!!

5 - Songbird – Bernard Fanning.
Fanning’s solo album “Tea and Sympathy” is a great album of country/folk music mixed in with pop, to give some great catchy music, with lyrics about love, loss and regret. Songbird is a great track, very catchy.

4 - Blackbird – The Beatles.
What can you say about Blackbird? It’s a lovely gentle acoustic ballad from Paul McCartney. Sweet, beautiful stuff.

3 - Three Little Birds – Bob Marley.
“Don’t worry, about a thing, cos every little thing, is gonna be allright.” Ok, I know its really cheesy, but I really love this reggae song, its just got such a lovely sentiment to it and is really nice to listen to.

2- And Your Bird Can Sing – The Beatles.
This song might not be as well known as other Beatles songs, but its every bit as good, in my opinion. From the Revolver album, its a rocking track, featuring a dual guitar melody. Great stuff.

1 - Eagle Rock – Daddy Cool.
This classic Aussie rock track just has to be the number one bid song. It’s a catchy, brilliant song. Not much more to say really!!

Did I leave your favourite bird off the list?????

No comments:

Post a Comment