Thursday, May 8, 2014

Top ten "soul" songs

So, after the countdown of my favourite albums, its time to return to normal programming!

This time the list theme is top "soul" songs, well, songs that have soul in the title at least rather than the genre or the thing on the bottom of your shoe..

Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think, always like hearing thoughts, comments and alternative suggestions.

thanks


10 – Its All About Soul – Billy Joel
 Well yes, Billy, you are quite right, that is exactly what this list is about.

 


 

9 – Soul Kitchen – The Doors
 From the Doors debut album, this is a great track with those trademark Doors keyboard sounds and Jim’s great vocals.

 


 

 

8 – Soul Man – Sam and Dave
Does anyone remember a short lived TV sitcom called “Soul Man” where Dan Ackroyd played a priest? Its not really relevant, just had a memory, although I am pretty sure that the theme music was a version of this song. Great piece of soul from the sixties.


 

7 – Awake My Soul – Mumford & Sons
I do like Mumford & Sons, although it is probably fair to say that there is a certain formula that a lot of their songs seem to be written to. This is another trademark Mumfords song, a really enjoyable listen.

 


 

6 – You Can’t Make Love Without a Soul – Jimmy Barnes
On Barnesy’s “Flesh and Wood” album, he went all acoustic, and the results were surprisingly good (for example, I love his “Love Me Tender” cover, not the sort of song you would immediately think  would suit his screaming but he handles it well) . “You Can’t Make Love Without a Soul” comes from this album and has some back up vocals from Ross Wilson.


 

5 – Soul to Squeeze – Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Wouldn’t call myself a Chilli Peppers fan, but I do enjoying giving their best of a spin every now and then, so I had to make room for their “soul” song.


 

4 – Soul Bossa Nova – Quincy Jones
This one might be better known to you as the theme from Austin Powers. I never really got into the films in a big way, but hey, what a great piece of music!

 


 

3- Who Will Save Your Soul – Jewel
I liked the Jewel songs that I heard on the radio – this one, “You Were Meant For Me”, “Foolish Games” and really wanted to get the album. When I did though, I was disappointed, it just didn’t stack up for me apart from the singles. This is her finest moment though. A great track.


 

2- Soul Kind of Feeling – Dynamic Hepnotics
You gotta love the 80’s because it produced such moments of pure enjoyment like this song. So catchy.


 

1- Sweet Soul Music – Arthur Conley
Could this be the greatest one hit wonder of all time? I can’t describe what it is about this song, but I really love it. Its catchy, enjoyable, it name drops great soul artists – what’s not to like!


 
So that is my top soul songs...what gives you a soul kind of feeling?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for turning me on to Dynamic Hepnotics, never heard that before but I dig the Dexys brass.

    I don't remember a Dan Akroyd sitcom called Soul Man but I do remember a terrible 80s comedy film about a kid who "blacks up" to get into University. Oh dear.

    The problem with doing a list like this one is that if I put "Soul" into my music player, it won't just list songs with that word in the title... but all the ones with the word in the "Genre" column too... which is THOUSANDS.

    Again then, just from the ones in my Google Play account...

    The Verve - A Northern Soul
    Otis Redding - 634-5789 (Soulsville, U.S.A.)
    Thea Gilmore - Old Soul
    Morrissey - Satan Rejected My Soul
    Bruce Springsteen - Soul Driver / Souls of the Departed
    Huey Lewis - Heart And Soul
    The Bar-Kays - Soul Finger
    Neil Young - Mr. Soul
    Eels - Novocaine For The Soul / Souljacker Pt 2
    Rumer - Soulsville / Soul Rebel
    David Bowie - Soul Love
    Steely Dan - Monkey In Your Soul
    They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Until I Believe In My Soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you are digging the Dynamic Hepnotics song, its awesome. But don't ask me to name another Dynamic Hepnotics song, I have no idea...hehehe.

      Delete