Saturday, April 12, 2014

Dean's favourite albums #2 - A Night at the Opera - Queen

Now I know and now I know that “A Night at the Opera” is number two on my list. An amazing album named after the Marx brothers film, it really has a bit of everything. Of course to most the highlight of this album would be the amazing “Bohemian Rhapsody”, but there is heaps more diverse moments beyond this. There are the rockers, like the menacing opening track “Death on Two Legs”,  and “Sweet Lady” as well as the epic “The Prophet’s Song.” Those of you that know me are aware that I am not averse to a novelty song, and you get two whimsical tracks on this album – “Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon” and “Seaside Rendezvous”. You also get the completely over the top rock of  “I’m in Love with My Car”, which you could categorise into rock or novelty (indeed when Brian May heard the demo of this Roger Taylor track, he thought it was a joke.) Then there is the acoustic and nostalgic sounding “’39” and “Good Company”, and the ballad “Love of My Life”. “You’re My Best Friend”, today’s link, in my opinion is the perfect pop song, so catchy and if it weren’t for “Bohemian Rhapsody” would probably be the highlight of the album. And I haven’t even mentioned the closing track, an electric guitar led version of “God Save the Queen” that would rival Jimi Hendrix’s “Star Spangled Banner” rendition at Woodstock. Some of the albums on my list are personal favourites, not necessarily widely regarded but this one is undoubtedly a classic album.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2JSUXaY-tw

 

 

So there you have it, after counting down 24 fine albums we reach the number one spot. We have covered indie rock, swamp rock, folk, rock, country, 80’s pop, 90’s rock , punk, and a host of other genres. I hope you have enjoyed reading the list as much as I have enjoyed putting it together. Although a difficult task, I really enjoyed re-listening to albums, not just the ones on the list, but also the ones that were in contention but didn’t quite make the cut.

 

Normally I have given you a bit of a hint as to the next album on the list, but not this time…you will have to just wait and see what the number one track is…but feel free to speculate in the lead up….

2 comments:

  1. Great record... though Sheer Heart Attack would just edge it out of the top place on my list of favourite Queen albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. believe it or not, A Night at the Opera is the only Queen album I have, but of course know many of their main songs through radio etc.

      So do you think Sheer Heart Attack should be my next stop? I have also heard Queen II is pretty good?

      Delete