Saturday, August 10, 2013

top twenty "dog" songs - Part One (20-11)


One my children’s favourite toys at the moment is a toy dog that makes barking sounds as you pull it along. In addition, I FINALLY got around to purchasing Led Zep IV the other day, which of course contains  a famous dog song. So inspired by these two things I thought I would make a top dogs list.

There are so many to pick from, and some good songs have missed out, so it’s a top twenty this time around. Some of these songs are all about dogs, others not so much, but I hope you enjoy it now that I have let the dogs out!
Here is part one ....
 

20 - Martha My Dear – The Beatles
We start off with Paul’s piano based ditty about a sheepdog.

 

19 - You Can’t Teach an Old Dog New Tricks – Seasick Steve
I only recently picked up a Seasick Steve best of, and I am really enjoying it. This is trademark Steve, a great blues track.

 
18 – Move it On Over – Hank Williams
Hank’s been staying out late again, and his wife has banished him to the doghouse. The lyrics mention a little dog, a big dog, a skinny dog, a fat dog, an old dog, a new dog, a nice dog, a bad dog (x2), a short dog, a tall dog, a good dog, a cold dog and a hot dog – so I think it qualifies for the list.

 When I first heard it, I was amazed at the similarities between it, an undisputable country song and Bill Haley’s Rock Around the Clock, widely regarded as instrumental in the breakthrough of rock and roll. Doing some further research, it seems that Hank’s song has its basis in two other songs from the 1920’s, so there is the evolution of music right there!

 
17 - Diamond Dogs – David Bowie
A rocking track from Bowie.

 

16 - I Love my Dog – Cat Stevens
The Cat loves his dog as much as he loves you!

 

15 - Dog – Mark Seymour
Originally a Hunters and Collectors track from their album Human Frailty, Seymour reworked it for his Titanic album. I have enjoyed his solo work more than his work with the Hunnas, and many of his solo re-recordings of Hunters and Collectors tracks are great. This is such an example.

 

14 - Walking the Dog – Rolling Stones
Next up, some early era Rolling Stones. It’s a cover of a Rufus Thomas track, his has more of a funky feel to it than the Stones version, which is blues rock.

 

13 - Lester – Crowded House
A rare Crowded House number from the BSides and Rarities Afterglow album, it is the story of Neil Finn’s dog getting hit by a car.


I think Lester’s plight might have also inspired another Neil Finn penned track – Anytime from his One Nil solo album.

 

12 -Lady with Dog – Stardust Five
Stardust Five are a side project of Paul Kelly’s band, and on this track, Kelly puts on a great vocal performance, conveying his despair with the dog that keeps digging up his backyard and peeing on his rug.

 

11- Dogs are Talking – The Angels
Crank up your stereo, its time for some great 80’s rock from the Angels (not to be confused with the 60’s girl group of “My Boyfriend’s Back” fame)


 

So there you have it, that is part one of my list about man’s best friends. Was I barking mad to include any of these tracks? Send through your thoughts and any suggestions for the top ten.

2 comments:

  1. A wise move to make this one a Top 20, though I reckon I'd only have found room for 2, possibly 3 of the above. (Some I didn't know and look forward to investigating further in a few moments...) And for Seasick Steve, I might have gone with Back In The Doghouse.

    As for suggestions...

    Ben Folds - Dog / Your Dogs

    The Cramps - Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?

    Eels - Dog-Faced Boy

    Elvis - Hound Dog

    Everly Brothers - Bird Dog

    The Faces - You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything (Even Take the Dog for a Walk, Mend a Fuse, Fold Away the Ironing Board, or Any Other Domestic Shortcomings)

    Florence & The Machine - Dog Days Are Over

    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

    Grandaddy - Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake

    Iggy Pop - I Wanna Be Your Dog

    Led Zeppelin / Nick Drake - Black Dog (not the same song)

    Paul Simon - Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War

    Pulp - Dogs Are Everywhere

    Stephen Malkmus - Jenny and the Ess-Dog

    Scott Walker - The Girls and the Dogs

    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

    They Might Be Giants - Youth Culture Killed My Dog


    ...and that's before I even got to breeds like Labrador by Aimee Mann or Golden Retriever by The Super Furry Animals.

    Anyway, I'll be interested to see which (if any!) of the above make your Top Ten.

    As long as you don't include that Sting song written from the dog's perspective! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rol, the Seasick Steve entry was a toss up, so your suggestion could very well have made it.

    In regards to your list, you will see some of them in the top ten. The Paul Simon track you mention was the one I referred to last week, just missed out on the top twenty. And there are quite a few that are unfamiliar to me, so I will have to check them out.

    Thanks for taking the time to reply again.

    ReplyDelete