Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Back to School Special - Top Ten "Spelling" songs

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, but I have been on holidays, so only just getting back to this now.

Schools around the country have recently gone back to start the new school year, so this week’s list is a “back to school special”. The top ten spelling songs!!

So what do I mean by spelling songs – basically any song where at some point in the lyrics, the singer spells out a word. A couple of disclaimers – I am not including acronyms in this, so YMCA by the Village People is ineligible, likewise Back in the USSR by the Beatles, and a heap of songs with USA in the lyrics.

Only ten on the list this week, mainly because I haven’t had much time to do this, and also, I actually can’t think of too many songs at the moment (although there must surely be thousands out there!)

10 – That Word (Love) – The Rockmelons
Spelling: L-O-V-E
To start the list off, I will go with some early 90’s radio friendly pop from the Rockmelons, featuring Deni Hines on lead vocals. The spelling is in the chorus and is a major component of the song.

9 - I’m Henry The VIII, I am – Herman’s Hermits
Spelling: H-E-N-R-Y
Moving back in time, to the sixties, and Herman’s Hermits little novelty ditty about the former King. For some reason this song always makes me smile, particularly the bit after the first verse where they sing “second verse, same as the first”, and then proceed into the next verse. Interestingly, throughout the track, they use a rather cockney accent and pronounce Henry more like Enery. Late in the song, the spelling of Henry (in the conventional style) occurs.

8 – Asshole – Dennis Leary
Spelling: A-S-S-H-O-L-E
Hehehe – yes, I realize the irony of having a back to school special and then putting this song on the list, but hey, I never said I was a good role model! I remember this song from the 90’s, and at that time, it was considered to be stretching the boundaries a fair bit. I even remember a number of music video shows not even prepared to run it. It is basically Leary describing how much of a charming individual he is. The spelling occurs near the end, in almost a chant style.

7 - I’m a Man – Bo Diddley
Spelling: M-A-N
Featuring a killer blues riff, in this song Diddley basically proclaims his manhood. The spelling of M-A-N recurs throughout the song.

6 – ROCK in the USA – John Mellencamp
Spelling: R-O-C-K
Included for the spelling of ROCK, not USA. An ode to 60’s rock, this upbeat rocking track is from Mellencamp’s Scarecrow album. The spelling occurs in the chorus.

5 – Jimmy Jazz – The Clash
Spelling: J-A-Z-Z
London Calling by the Clash is one of my all time favourite albums. The Clash are usually lauded as a punk band, but there is far more than just punk in this album, with moments of reggae, ska, jazz, soul, rockabilly all shining through. Jimmy Jazz is one of those great songs, that probably doesn’t get its credit given how many other gems feature on the album. The spelling comes towards the end of the song.

4- Gloria – Van Morrison
Spelling: G-L-O-R-I-A
This song has virtually become a rock and roll staple. Not being a musician, I don’t know much about such things, but I am led to believe that this song is quite simple to play, so a lot of up and coming guitarists learn how to play it. I just enjoy it for what it is, a great rock song.


3 – Rumble – You Am I
Spelling: R-A-D-I-O
The only song on my list that doesn’t spell out a word from its title, this is a catchy rocker from Aussie band You Am I. It packs a punch from start to finish (and in a dodgy segue from me, it even has a punching theme by mentioning boxer Lionel Rose in the lyrics). The spelling is part of the chorus.

2 - Lola – The Kinks
Spelling: L-O-L-A or C-O-L-A
What a song! Ray Davies tale of meeting a boy who he thought was a girl has to be one of rock’s greatest, particularly the great power riff that begins the song. There is spelling throughout the song, of Lola, and also of its rhyme Cola. For some more useless trivia, originally the song mentioned coca cola, but this was changed to the more generic cherry cola, because the BBC had a policy against product placement.

1 – Respect – Aretha Franklin
Spelling: R-E-S-P-E-C-T
The top spot just had to go to Aretha’s anthem. The story of this song fascinates me. It was written and originally recorded by Otis Redding. The way Otis sings it, it is about a man coming home and expecting to get some respect from his woman. Aretha though, changed it around so that its about a woman expecting some respect from the man, and Aretha’s version has become a bit of a chick anthem. The famous spelling of RESPECT was not included in Redding’s version, and arguably it is Franklin’s delivery of these lines that makes her version so memorable.




So there you have it, our back to school spelling songs special. I hope you enjoyed, and as always, please post your thoughts/comments/suggestions below. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Dean

2 comments:

  1. Lots of R-E-S-P-E-C-T for your number one choice there. I love how Aretha was able to turn that song around and reverse its meaning - one of the few songs where the cover is better than the original. Maybe that's an idea for a future list?

    In this list, I'll nominate the Al Green song L-O-V-E (Love) which is a beautiful soul number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will keep the cover idea in mind, as I have often pondered that. Interestingly though, many of the songs in this space, I actually still really like the originals, just respect (sorry about that) the new spin that gets put on them.

    ReplyDelete